Sunday, June 10, 2012

Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus by Joyce Magnin



 As someone with a huge salt and pepper shaker collection how could I not love a book about a woman who shares that interest!

Harriet has reached a certain point in her life when she knows she needs to make a change.  Her husband has passed and she feels as though she has never accomplished anything.  After losing a bet, she agrees to move in with her son and daughter-in-law.  She packs up her huge salt and pepper shaker collection and sends her dog ahead to her son’s home. But Harriet decides that she will set off to travel cross country by bus – not the Greyhound kind - but local transportation whenever possible. Her main goal is to make it to the Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum in Gatlinburg TN. (yes, it really exists)

Harriet Beamer Takes a Bus is a delightful story of an older woman as she discovers things she never knew about travel, people, and her own family.  She has quite a few adventures along the way and meets many interesting people.  She reaches out to people who are hurting and shares her wisdom, but also opens her heart and learns much in return from them.  

Thank you to Zondervan for the advanced reader copy of this book.  I accepted the book with the understanding that I would give my honest opinion.  I provide a link to purchase the book, but I receive no compensation for any purchase through my link.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew there was a salt and pepper museum. I can imagine there are some interesting ones out there! This sounds like a great book and journey.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...