Monday, February 22, 2010

Heart Healthy Monday

Heart Healthy Monday Web Information:
I confess I am not a big fish eater, but I have added more to my diet recently.  I work in a medical office and was surprised one day to receive a newsletter warning against Tilapia for heart patients.  Here is a link to explain the problem:  Science Daily

We gave up Tilapia when we saw a TV show on how the fish are farmed, but in fairness I want to post this link which is more Tilapia friendly: Mayo Clinic

Heart Healthy Tip:  If you smoke -PLEASE QUIT.  My sister continued to smoke even after serious warning signs.  She died last year at age 66 of heart failure.  To the younger readers 66 years may sound old, but I promise that the older you get - the younger that will sound.

Tip #2 The following spices are good for use on fish -curry powder, dill, dry mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, marjoram, lemon pepper, thyme, paprika- experiment!

Heart Healthy Recipe - Mediterranean Baked Fish
Adapted from a recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute

1 lb fish fillets (sole, flounder, or sea perch)
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes, chopped up and drained, reserve juice
Note: I prefer to use some of the herb flavored diced tomatoes instead of whole
1/2 cup reserved tomato juice
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, minced ( I don't use the garlic simply because I don't like it)
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp fresh orange peel, grated (I don't use the orange peel.)
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
(A prepared italian herb mix can be substituted for the last four herb ingredients.)
black pepper if desired

Heat oil in large skillet.  Add onion and sauté over moderate heat for 5 minutes or until soft.  Add all remaining ingredients except the fish. Stir well and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. 

Arrange fish in 10- by 6-inch baking dish. Cover with sauce.  Bake uncovered at 375 ºF for about 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.


Yield: 4 servings

Serving size:
4-oz fillet with sauce
Each serving provides:
Calories: 178
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 260 mg
Total fiber: 3 g
Protein: 22 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Potassium: 678 mg

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I love Tilapia!!! Thanks for the info.

    Just popping by from SITS. Glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came by to thank you for visiting my blog on my SITS day. Hope you'll come again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...