Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wednesday Ramblings

While I was reading through reader forums on several sites today, I came across a rather ill-tempered person complaining about a reviewer by name because this person gave 4 and 5 star ratings to every book. I thought calling her by name was rather catty, and perhaps the reason is that the 5-star lady only chooses to review books that she thinks she will like.

I receive many requests for reviews by e-mail with short descriptions of the book. I only reply to those I think I might like. I also review most of the books I read even if not requested by the author. I don’t have to enjoy the book to give it a good rating (although it helps). Are the characters well developed? Is it written so that I can “lose myself” in the story? Does it deliver what it promises? Will its topics please another audience? These are some things I consider when reviewing.

I am not a writer and do not want to become one. I started this blog as an extension of my surveys and travel reviews, and I hoped that it would help me express myself better with words. As you can see, I am still working on that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...